Love is a crazy thing, and it sure can make you do some absolutely stupid things.
Here’s a few things that I’ve done ‘in the name of love’:
- Became a mute. As a teenager I fell in ‘love’ with a few boys, but I had a problem. I was shy as a mouse and blushed incredibly easy. Talking, or even looking at the boy when he was near, was out of the question. So I would not talk, and I would obsess from afar. No surprises that I didn’t land my first boyfriend until I was 24 years old. I fooled myself that I had better things to concentrate on such as ‘study’ and ‘my travels’.
- Became a spectator. In my mid-20’s I sat by and watched as my then-boyfriend and his mates snorted speed off a table and popped pills. They would then tell me that there was something wrong with me since I wouldn’t join them. I really don’t understand why I put up with 2 1/2 years of that? Oh, that’s right, I had NO confidence!
- Self-sabotaged my European travels. I should have been foot loose, fancy free, and working my way around the UK and Europe. Instead, I fell for a boy whilst living and working at a pub in Bristol (I had run out of money and had to take up a live in job. He was one of the chefs who ‘rescued’ me and the Manager one night when her husband – the other crazy chef – started beating her up). I fell bad, and stayed there way too long. At least it was long enough to discover that he had a dark side too…which succeeded in destroying my naivety along with my trust in chefs.
- Cried my little heart out.
- Broken someones heart. As I was falling for the English Chef, I had a boyfriend waiting patiently for me back home in Oz. Unfortunately for him, I had discovered the world and myself. I had also come to the realisation that I did not love him anymore. So I did what I thought was right and hopped on a plane to fly home. I really believed that I was doing the right thing. How gutless would it be to break up with someone over the phone or via email, especially when you had been together for 3 years? He didn’t see it that way though.
- Bought a house with a man! I was one of those women who was never going to settle down, was never going to stay in one place and was certainly never going to commit to a mortgage (or marriage!). About two years ago something happened, and I committed to a mortgage with my partner. Strange thing is, after all the stress, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done!
So now that I’ve bared my heart and soul, what crazy things have YOU done in the name of love?