Sometimes it’s good to just stop and be…especially when there is so much going on.
My head hurts – it has for a whole week. So much is going on in my mind, I’m actually giving myself a head ache. Even a 20 minute massage yesterday didn’t help.
So today – at this moment in time – I’m hitting the pause button, to remind myself what I am grateful for right now.
- My dog. I love my dog. She had an operation last week, and I was afraid I would lose her. But she’s bouncing back, and that makes me relieved and happy;
- The sun. I love the sun – even though it burns my pasty white skin and gives me freckles. The sun provides warmth, light and life;
- Having a good car. For years I survived on having really run down cars, and I would always be afraid that they would breakdown. Once, driving down the freeway, the back axle of my car broke, and the back tyres went rolling down the freeway in front of me. The car then burst into flames, and I lost control. Luckily I managed to get the car across 3 lanes of traffic into the emergency stopping lane, and even luckier still – a man with a fire extinguisher pulled up behind me. I had my Mum in the car with me that day. We could have both been badly injured or worse. We were lucky. I am so thankful for being able to buy myself a new, reliable car;
- Being alive. I feel that I’ve had more than my own fair share of ‘near death’ experiences for my age, like the earlier example, or like the time we nearly plummeted off a cliff. Then there’s the times I nearly drowned – thus I now have a phobia of water. For years I was also depressed and didn’t want to be alive. Now I do. I love being alive;
- Hands. Without hands I wouldn’t be able to write, and writing brings me a degree of sanity. So without hands, I might find myself slightly insane…
- Great music. I was brought up by parents who loved rock music. Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Police, Fleetwood Mac…their love of music instilled in me a desire to explore my own music tastes. I’ve explored everything from rock, to metal, grunge, pop, boy bands, drum n’ bass, trance and dance, world, R’n’B, and so on. I love music. I would be lost without it;
- 2010. Now that was a bad year. It was the worst one I’ve had in a long time. Cancer, death, bullying, sickness, fights, lost friendships, money worries, and so on. But 2010, with all it’s bad stuff actually taught me so much – and there were some amazing highlights! I got to see Fleetwood Mac live with my Mum, brother and sister!
Now it’s your turn.
STOP what you are doing.
What are you grateful for – right now?